A highly motivated and dedicated Musician, Conductor and Teacher with 22 years service as a Musician in London with the Band of The Irish Guards. He takes great pride in ensuring that the highest possible standards are achieved both personally and in those he tutors and works with. Has a strong belief that music making and learning should be disciplined and structured, but primarily enjoyable. Always strives to create an environment that nurtures creativity in order to produce quality results.
• Head of Brass at the Hutt International Boys School
• Brass Teacher at the Raphael House Rudolph Steiner School
• Taught Brass, Recorder and Choir at the Raroa Music School
• Worked regularly as a private musical tutor and trainer, not only in performance but in theoretical work and conducting.
• Has worked regularly in schools, colleges and Universities at large scale workshops and with small ensembles.
• Has worked with both children and adults of all ages.
• Currently teaching privately in Wellington area.
• Recently conducted the Wellington Chamber Orchestra to great success from both critics and audience in a program of Lilburn and Vaughan-Williams (including Lilburn’s Song of Islands and First Symphony)
• As a working musician in the British Army worked regularly as a conductor in both concerts and rehearsals with the Band of the Irish Guards
• Conducted many bands of all abilities in London outside of the army
• As an Orchestral Conductor worked with the London Insurance Orchestra, conducted a series of concerts with the Woodcote Orchestra and conducted the Eton Chamber Players.
• Conductor of the Wellington Youth Band.
• Works regularly with Hutt City Brass
• Rehearses and conducts the Big Band at Hutt International Boys School.
• Thirty four years experience as a tuba player in both the military and with civilian orchestras (professional and amateur) and bands, building up a wealth of experience of works that sit within and outside the repertoire.
• Has performed across the world as part of many extensive concert tours to such venues as the Sydney Opera House, The Czech Philharmonic Hall and the Royal Albert Hall.
• Principle tuba with the Wellington Pelorus Trust Band (National Champions)
• Performed with the NZSO Brass at the Wellington Brass Festival
• Performed with Orchestra Wellington as part of the schools outreach program
• Has worked regularly as a conductor and ensemble trainer.
• Is a capable arranger, especially for younger musicians and has produced successfully performed pieces for the HIBS Big Band.
• Has written articles for various magazines, reviewed recordings and contributed to the academic work of others.
• Has given talks on music history.
• Whilst his passion and formal training is classical enjoys, and has worked in a huge variety of genres.